Homage to William Burroughs and Naked Lunch 1959–2009
28 August, 2009, Chicago
Academy Award nominee Peter Weller will host a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the groundbreaking novel Naked Lunch by legendary Beat author and American icon William S. Burroughs.
Featuring an art exhibition at Th!nkArt Salon of William S. Burroughs’ work and never-before-seen footage of his turbulent life in a trailer of the feature-length documentary William S. Burroughs: A Man Within by Yony Leyser. The documentary features exclusive interviews with John Waters, Genesis P-Orridge, Laurie Anderson, Peter Weller, Iggy Pop, David Cronenberg, Gus Van Sant, James Grauerholz, and Sonic Youth.
This star-studded evening catered by Chef Daniel Leigh will feature live music by Anni Rossi and Maya Jensen with readings, happenings, and performances by authors, poets, and Beat scholars. WHY: William S. Burroughs, often called one of the greatest and most influential writers of the twentieth century, was a seminal figure of the Beat generation.
Featured Authors, Poets, Beat Scholars include:
- Peter Weller, star of David Cronenberg’s film Naked Lunch (1991)
- John Giorno, poet, performance artist, founder of Giorno Poetry Systems
- Penny Arcade, Andy Warhol Superstar
- Anne Waldman, Poet, Co-Founder of the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics
- Hal Willner, Musical Director, Saturday Night Live, recorded Burroughs, Dead City Radio (1990)
- James Grauerholz, William S. Burroughs Estate Executor
- John Long, author, Drugs and the Beats
- Kurt Hemmer, author, Encyclopedia of Beat Literature
- Tony Trigilio, author, Allen Ginsberg’s Buddhist Poetics
- Dr. Bill Ayers, Distinguished Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
28 August 2009
Star-studded Art Exhibition
5:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M.
Friday, August 28, 2009
1530 N. Paulina St., Suite F
Admission $60 online and $75 at the door includes After-Party
9:30 P.M. until it ends
Featuring: David Daniell & Douglas McCombs (Tortoise, Thrill Jockey), Penny Aracde & DJs
1371 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, IL.
Admission at the door $10
Donations in support of the film will be accepted online at cimmfest.org for $60 or at the door of Th!nkArt Salon for $75, which includes all refreshments at Th!nkArt and entrance to the After-Party at STOP SMILING Magazine. For more information call 773.394.8170.
For More Information
Laurie R. Glenn
Phone: 773.252.8672, ext. 301
Phone: 773.252.8672 ext. 303